Saturday 28 September 2013

Building block by building block...

Today saw my first full day of job shadowing in Colonia.

This morning Carmen and I went to Andreas offices to rehearse our prezi's and presentations for this evenings seminar.

We also went to visit a Youth Workshop which hosted a group of young people aged 16-25 out of education. The workshop welcomed guest speaker Daniel Goldman and focused on inspiring and motivating the young people in continuing in their part-time training in woodwork and building.

The lecture was evaluated by the group and well recieved. There also appeared to be a true togetherness within the group and this was demonstrated in the "down time" after the lecture. The young people engaged in eating, dancing and joking around, allowing eachother to be themselves in a friendly and supportive environment. It was great to see and even better to be a part of!

This evening I, along with representatives of other organisations delievered our presentations. I had a translator so luckily nothing was lost in translation! I learnt of various local activities being run through local schools and organisations as well as other projects being run abroad. The projects promoted the upskilling of young people and encouraged young people to take ownership of various activities.

One local activity run by JCI sees the launch of a recycling project using plastic bottles and sand to build bus and walking shelters in the community of Colonia. Recycling is a real issue over here...they have the land but not the knowledge to know what do to with recycable materials.

The seminar has got me thinking about how I can use my sports background into creating a project that promotes 2020 thinking...I will now go to brainstorm with a beer as I celebrate the success of todays seminar with my new friends :)

Ruth

1 comment:

  1. As you know Ruth many of the world's greatest ideas were scribbled on old beer mats written over a beer. Glad to hear this project is inspiring new ideas. We have plans for you when you return!

    ReplyDelete