Saturday 28 September 2013

How to begin?

I always struggle with writing the blog. But today I'm really lost for words. 

We visited a children's home where George (our guide) works. How do I express how I felt in that hour? How do I share the stories that shocked me? But the children that amazed me.  

We are constantly shown images of neglect on tv and the Internet. But being in the environment today seeing the reality of what some of the people out here are facing is basically terrifying. Seeing children in that position is even more heartbreaking.

I met an inspirational woman today named Florin. She is owner/manager and Mother at the home. 
She tells me that she has worked and ran this home for 27 years. Even her own 4 children live there.  

The aim, to have a big home with an even bigger family presence. 

I was taken on a tour of the house which wasn't very big and the poor drainage can be smelt throughout. There are 47 children living here and over the years thousands have passed through the doors. 

Florin tells me that she used to receive a small amount of money from the state to support each child. This stopped in March! Everything stopped in March! No money for the children no wages for the staff, nothing. 

This woman along with a dedicated number of now volunteers, cook, clothe and support these young people that range from age 2 to age 18. 
The young people themselves were incredible. So polite and interested in why we were there. The young ones wants to play with my gadgets and the older ones wanted to know about where we were from. 
These guys are living in the home because of the neglect and abuse they have experienced. It was clear to me that each and everyone of them was grateful for everything Florin and her team are doing for them. 

My emotions during that time are so difficult to share. I was deeply touched by what I saw and the hard work going on. These people have very little, they face hardship each day. But they are a family and the passion that each of them have for the centre and the work it does is evident. 

I'm really going to reflect on today and take it forward with me. I'm lucky for the experiences and the opportunities I have had so far and this shouldn't be taken for granted. 

Hasta luego

Amy

No comments:

Post a Comment