Tuesday 8 October 2013

Afternoon in Argentina

So began my journey from Paraguay to Uruguay to participant in the international seminar that we have been working towards for the past 6 months.

However this wasn't just a quick flight and arrival. One bus, plane, taxi and boat later I finally arrived at my destination a little tired but really excited to start the next part of my adventure.

Although before my boat trip I got to spend the afternoon in Buenos Aires, Argentina. Wow what a vibrant and diverse city. The few hours I had were not nearly enough time to see the wonders this place has to offer, but I certainly got a taste for the city and its love for Tango and Salsa.
I spent some time wondering a round the colourful streets (like the photo loving tourist that I am), shopping in the markets and visiting antiques stalls. But my favourite part of the afternoon was navigating the winding staircases in La Boca.



La Boca is a European build city which was inhabited by Spanish and Italian immigrants. The people living here often worked at the docks and used left over paint for the ships on the sides of the metal sheets that covered their home. This soon became a colourful symbol of La Boca and in turn Buenos Aires.
The streets are full of artists and dancers and it is now a huge tourist attraction for the city and I understand why.



I have read and heard a lot about the social issues in Buenos Aires and the variety between the classes living so close to one another. The culture can change in each street. I will visit the city again on Saturday so hopefully I will have a lot more to report.

For now I have finally arrived in Colonia and am looking forward to starting the seminar, sharing experiences and catching up with friends.


P.S. Ruth this is as close as I have been to riding a horse.

No comments:

Post a Comment