Friday 4 October 2013

Life begins at the edge of your comfort zone

Today marks my first full week in Colonia, Uruguay and what an adventure it has been!

I have pushed myself further than I ever have in my life...quite literally to another continent! I have made professional and personal friendships with people from all around the world, some of which speak little to no English. And I have got stuck in to every opportunity going...

Yesterday I was welcomed to the official inauguration of the Manuel Lobo school of woodwork and building. This celebrated the work of the young people as well as reinforced the importance of the school itself, offering part-time courses to those aged 16-25 outside of education and training. It was great to see so many people there. There was a real sense that everyone could feel and see the good that they were doing. 

Afterwards the young people encouraged me to make cement and bricks with them...naturally I obliged!











In the afternoon I went to ride a horse for the very first time. I was a little apprehensive at first but I soon got into the swing of it. Out here it doesn't cost a lot to ride a horse compared to the cost in England. As a result the opportunity is available to just about everyone. I thoroughly enjoyed the experience and it has given me the confidence to do it again.




















Next week I am going to a foreign Japanese food cooking class and this weekend I am going to explore Montevideo and Perla del Cabo before returning to Colinia for the second weeks seminar.

My moto from this experience so far is that "if you never try then you never know" :)

1 comment:

  1. Word of advice Ruth do not attempt to bring the horse through customs, no matter how beautiful he is!

    ReplyDelete